Alperton School History

  • 1922 – Stanley Avenue opened – previously a mansion
  • 1928 – adopted the name Wembley County Grammar School
  • 1938 – original mansion demolished to allow for a new appropriate site to be built
  • 1948 – separate school on Ealing Road named Alperton County Mixed School
  • 1957 – School split into Alperton Boys and Alperton Girls
  • 1967 – 3 schools amalgamated to form Alperton High School
  • 1991 – renamed Alperton Community School
  • London Olympics 1948 – first time in 12 years since Berlin 1936
  • Known as the austerity games due to the economic climate and post war rationing
  • No new venues were built, with events taking place mainly in Wembley Stadium
  • Instead of an Olympic village, athletes were house in existing accommodation in Wembley
  • 59 Nations, 4104 athletes, 3714 men, 390 women and 19 disciplines
  • Germany and Japan were refused permission to attend, though invited, the USSR did not attend
  • USA won the most medals
  • Stanley Avenue site – after summer term most of the upstairs classrooms were converted into dormitories
  • Other classrooms downstairs were turned into a competitors lounge and an indoor sports room
  • These and the dining hall were decorated with colourful curtains with vases of flowers donated by local residents from their gardens
  • The school welcomed teams from 7 small Commonwealth Countries
  • Some female competitors from these countries stayed with two of the school’s pupils
  • Wembley’s 1948 Olympics were a “make-do” affair but was a great success